Wednesday, January 17, 2024

News! How do I Get It?

Blog Post #1

News! How do I Get It?

Sports Business

As a Sport Management major, one of my most used sources of news is to connect with sport business. The source I use the most for this is Front Office Sports as they have the option to sign up for twice daily emails with the most important headlines from the business of sport across all sports and countries. This platform keeps me connected to the current events of the industry that I am just months away from entering as a full-time worker. There are other sources for this type of niche news such as The Sports Business Journal and The Athletic, however, I believe Front Office Sports to be the most thorough and accurate of the free to use sports business platforms. While this may be a niche form of news, due to where my passions lie and what will be most relevant to the industry I am about to enter, it is the source of news I use the most frequently. 


Google News


Google News
 offers the ability to see a multitude of headlines, covering a large variety of topics, from all types of media outlets in an easy-to-access format. This platform allows for all of what is considered to be the most important headlines at any given time to come to the forefront of your news search. This also bring headlines for a wide variety of news sources, allowing perspectives from all viewpoints to be easily accessed on each individual story. Using Google News has allowed me to find myself in a better position for how I can most effectively take in the news and how I can ensure I am getting all points-of-view available on a story when I am taking into consideration what is occurring. 

Snapchat

It will be repeated again, but social media is not the best way to consume news. However, Snapchat offers companies the ability to post "Discover" stories that have real substance behind them. This Discover platform on Snapchat allows for any company to pay to promote their stories to the users of Snapchat. This means that multiple news sources are able to use catchy headlines to attempt to get users to read their most important news stories of the day. News companies from all over the world use this platform to reach users and readers, to share their news. Now, this does also allow for platforms that are sharing seemingly "unimportant" or tabloid news, which I am sure many Snapchat users are quite interested in, however, true reputable news agencies also use this feature as well.


Instagram

Social media is by far not the best place to learn about the news, full of misinformation and the ability to say whatever an individual wishes. However, with all of the faults that getting news from social media can provide, it does give me the ability to see a headline or snippet of a news story shared by someone I am friends with, and in turn do my own research on the story. So while getting news from Instagram is not ideal, being able to see what is happening and what is a major news headline on Instagram allows me to then know what I want to look into further in depth and collect well-vetted and true information on the issue by using reliable news sources through Google News. 



Television

Unlike many nowadays, my family still has cable. This means when I am at home, the television is generally on. If there is one thing my family likes to keep on ideally as we go about our days for it to play in the background, it is news. Just like many of my friends, I grew up watching TV before school as I ate breakfast and got ready in elementary school, unlike many of my friends who would be watching cartoons, my morning television programing was "Fox and Friends". Needless to say, the news has always been a large part of my life. Television is an interesting way to consume news in today's climate. Journalists and television programming has become partisan. Therefore, I believe that this is one of the most difficult sources of news to get unbiased reporting from, without constantly switching channels and hearing the same stories from multiple perspectives, whereas, on Google News, it is possible to do this in a matter of clicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology, the Human Relationship with It

 Blog #11 Technology, the Human Relationship with It The Perfect Balance Everyone knows that technology can provide countless benefits to ou...